This is a long video but... after watching all these cars and a bus drive totally out of control, along comes a responding Seattle Fire Department Type 1 Engine. No sliding, no out of control driving... what gives? Not having a lick of experience driving in snow and ice, I have to ask, is it the weight of the engine, chains?

How on earth can you respond to an incident when the roads are this icy? 

Note: Video for this post is embedded below.

CBz

Views: 1994

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I knew that Mike, I was just razzing Lutan.
I stand corrected Sir.

If you'll be driving through the Chicago are, feel free to drop me a line. Maybe we can grab a beer and swap some "war" stories.

Stay safe!
Ah, yes, the Lake Erie Snow Machine!
Those spot chains are bad-ass, for lack of a better term. We have them on all of our apparatus as well.
they need to have drivers .drive a smooth bore tanker and they would have a lot more respect for something that big, and do it on ice is a real treat.
Regardless the size of the vehicle, it is always a challenge to drive in the snow and ice. This is why more experience should be needed. Calls will happen in ANY sort of weather so all firefighters should be prepared for whatever comes along. That said, maybe people should look more into what we could do for the trucks themselves to make it easier.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service