This is a long video but... after watching all these cars and a bus drive totally out of control, along comes a responding Seattle Fire Department Type 1 Engine. No sliding, no out of control driving... what gives? Not having a lick of experience driving in snow and ice, I have to ask, is it the weight of the engine, chains?

How on earth can you respond to an incident when the roads are this icy? 

Note: Video for this post is embedded below.

CBz

Views: 1994

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Always slowly and smartly. No laying on the brakes, no laying on the gas. Slow starts and stops. I've found chains don't help much on iced over roads, just the snow. Another thing to remember, watch where you park. I've had an engine slide down a banked road after it had been sitting for 5 minutes. All three people that got out of the rig fell within 2 steps. Be very careful
Keeping the tank half full is not a good idea. Gives the water more room to push you down the road. If you keep the tank full, espically unbaffeled tanks, it keeps the water somewhat more stable in the tank. I know it's more weight, but it has a lot less room to move when full. At least that's what I learned in a driving course I took several years ago.
When drive my POV to a call or the fire house in the winter when roads are bad at times i don't even use my red lights or sirens. When the roads are so bad you can not even keep ur car on the road, then you don't need other distractions. Same as in a fire truck you have to be really careful. Now we do use lights going to any call. But we wont use sirens at times because if ur behind a driver and ur blasting the air horn they kinda freak out and are like were do i go and some wreck we have seen it happen before in front of us. So stay safe out there guys and take it easy!
i understand you have insurance. But you can not just say. Drive as fast as you want were insured. When ur driving fast on icy roads, and do a 360 you are endangering many other lives (and other reasons to that also). So be careful and stay safe brother!
Gavin, Thats not what they meen at all.
I hate it when the roads are bad don't even want to respond.( Volunteer) I am the one they depend on to get the truck to the scene, I live close to the station. I know we have to go. I am still afraid to total a truck.
I never drive that hard even in good weather. If we don't get there or kill someone why even bother to respond is my thought. If it's a fire it will be there when we arrive. About the only time I catch myself driving too fast is to a EMS with a child. When I do I take a breath and back off.
I am thinking hard whether to stay with my second dept. They ran 90mph to put out corn stubble field. No homes close or anything of any value. If I do I will respond in my POV.
Michael, We have tried it both ways. It handles far better with a half tank. It is a brush truck with 250 gallon tank. A hundred gallons puts weight on the rear of the truck. 250 gallons pushes it when you try to stop.
If it were a tanker or engine I would agree all the way with you.
How do you drive a fire engine on icy roads?

Easy....you just don't lead em as much.

:-)

Like most say here slow and easy.......Bottom line is, we are not good to anyone if we don't get to the scene at all. Best to get to the scene safely and mitigate what you got, rather than never get there at all.
Was that Lutan? ;)
Strange question from a California guy.

I think Ralph said it best.

Having rode backwards in an engine that slid sideways several years ago, it's definitely white knuckle weather. I drive slowly and deliberately to the scene/quarters/etc., and double (or triple) my braking distance.

I'd sure like to have those chains that Jack talked about. Stay safe!
Good point Norm on shutting off the engine brake. I bet alot of people out there don't know about that.
I knew I forgot something. Shut off the engine brake/retarder.
Looks like I beat you to it again Brian lol. Too bad Norm beat both of us, oh well at least it wasn't Ralph lol

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service