For all of the Hazmat folks out there, Do you have any equipment or prefered method for determining an unknown product?  The team I am attached to is currently looking at updating, purchasing new,or eliminating equipment used in identification. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Views: 2829

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

here is where I have problems with all these various detection systems for unknowns...

Example: We use tools listed in the HAZMAT IQ card for a Red 1, Unknown Substance/WMD just to get started.

* Knowing what a Red 1, Unknown Substance / WMD indicates that this is a proprietary program that one has to purchase in order to become familiar with the product. Having never heard of this means that the terminology is not universal. I've seen this so many times before where people get proprietary about their stuff and reinvent terminology. Not to mention that an unknown WMD substance can be pretty broad ranged, with a myriad of hazards depending on the type. Generic anything is not a good thing. I want to know specifics, not generalities.

Just another reason why I like the tried and true, old school HazCat system...

CBz
Great point, and I couldn't agree more!
I've seen the same thing over and over with other tools...

For example, I've been a member of three different departments that discarded perfectly functional 4-ton Porta Powers after purchasing powered hydraulic tools. Two of those departments almost immediately experienced a need for the Porta-Powers for brake pedal foot entrapments that would have been a 2- minute extrication, but became 20-minute or 30-minute extrications with the larger powered hydraulics that wouldn't fit into the tight space around the patient's feet.

Hazmat is no different - having a more complete selection of tools in the toolbox is a good great thing.
We also started using the Hazmat IQ system and find it useful only to the first responders (hazmat awareness). I do agree with you Mike that we need to stick to common terminology, thus the reason for NIMS.

I would like to Thank all that responded to my post. Being a new FFN member I was not sure of the response I would receive. It was much better than expected. Thank you all, again.
NIMS doesn't really have any terminology that really makes any difference in hazmat.

The standards - and their terminology - that have a large impact hazmat are the NFPA 471, 472, and 473, OSHA HAZWOPER, NIOSH Chemical Hazards, EPA, chemical, trucking, railroad, industrial hygiene, and health physics industry standards.
Thanks for pointing that out Ben. I should have been a little clearer that NIMS is an example of standardization and not HazMat specific.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service