For all of the Hazmat folks out there, Do you have any equipment or prefered method for determining an unknown product?  The team I am attached to is currently looking at updating, purchasing new,or eliminating equipment used in identification. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Views: 2829

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I use the chemical classifier strips "Spilfyter" for training, and have used them in the field as well. They come with different test pads depending on what you want to test for and only cost around ten dollars a strip. You might not get the exact substance that you test but you will be able to put it into one of the nine different classes of hazardous materials which will go a long way on how to handle the spill. They are very simple to use.
Check out WebWISER. Unbelievable amount of info there. It's available to any wireless device. For unknowns it assists you by asking the following questions and helping you work through each...Physical properties of the substance...
Signs/symptoms from exposure to the substance...
NFPA 704 full or partial placard values...
Substance categories (flammable, meth lab, etc.)...
Transport identification: DOT placard and/or type of rail car or road trailer).
Further on the "Mark 3 kits". The technical name is the Mark 18A3 kits - my team just shortened the name to "Mark 3" for clarity on the radio.

These kits have apparently been discontinued for civilian use - I can't find a current reference to either the kits or photos of them.
We have sent members to the Rad training and Bomb school. The COBRA training I did not know,but we have sent new team memebers to Anniston for Techncician training. All of the courses sounded well worth it.
After I went to the cobra training, I put together some simple webpages to share the experience. You can see my 2003 COBRA training experience at:

http://www.silcom.com/~pordecon/2003_cobra.htm

CBz
Thanks for the pics Mike, we didn't bring a camera, what a gas that was.....we left our mark on the ceiling of the pub. Was that you with the cool vest on?? Anyways good training for any glowworm. As for this topic, will have to look at what we have but know it cost 60 grand.
In Massachusetts.. hazmat response is done by the Department of Fire Services. Each of the State's 6 hazmat districts has a Tactical Operations unit and two equipment trucks. If we have no idea what the substance or product is, we call them. They have all the "bells and whistels" and can be on scene in a relatively short period of time.
Marc,

I think what both Mike and I are trying to tell you is that it was probably a mistake for your team to get rid of the HazCat system.

The HazCat can categorize things for which colorimetric tubes, CMS chips, and even spectrometers might not distinguish - particularly unknown solids.

Like any other detection/classification technology, the HazCat is just another tool in the tool box. I wouldn't intentionally deprive my team of a good tool - especially one that costs less than some of the other tools like the spectrometer.
I have had time to check into why we removed the HazCat and found the usual fire department answer " I don't know". Apparently, the decision is above my pay grade. I am guessing that when new technology arrived they thought it would be obsolete. Like any piece of equipment you acquire in the fire service it is just another tool. The basics are still so very important. At least I have opened discussion in getting it back on the truck.
We use tools listed in the HAZMAT IQ card for a Red 1, Unknown Substance/WMD just to get started. (www.hazmatiq.com)

Then we move on to the HAZMAT ID.
homeland security grants! do your homework, and don't let the LEO's get all the $...
well said, thank you...

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service