Hello my name Devan Mills i have ask many different Firefighter's both Career, and Volunteer alike on the subject of school. The problem i am having is deciding upon what to take in college, i am hearing different things as what to take. Some tell me that a Fire Science degree is the right course to take, while others are telling me that i need to go and get my Firefighter/EMT diploma. I am currently a volunteer Firefighter, and i am wanting to make a career out of this. Any advice you may offer or any insight into the job would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Devan

Views: 3565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What I meant capcity was that if you are willing to relocate you can test all around when they are testing. We only test every two years also. But if you take enough tests you will get a job.
Those are funny aren't they!
Then, when you have the job they may pay for you college education such as a fire science degree.

Joseph, this is happening less and less and education up front is becoming more and more. In the last decade or so, when budgets have dried up and so forth, many depts have found that it is easier to ask for the education and certs up front than it is to spend money on existing employees. One doesn't have to look much further than being a paramedic. It used to be many depts would send their people to school, nowadays, you see more depts hiring paramedics.
if you are willing to relocate you can test all around when they are testing. But if you take enough tests you will get a job.

I agree. Along with a testing difference, the process can be awhile as well. Although, I do believe reading that Chicago was going to a more frequent testing time vs the 10 year deal.

What Greg said here is correct, the more you do test, the better your chances and eventually you will get hired. The more you bring to the table also helps. You can still test while you are in school, I think many responders here are under the impression you are locked in with school. When I was in school, I tested for numerous depts. Many depts may still test, but never hire, but just want to keep a current list. You seen that a lot in the early 2000's.
John, there a couple of Fire Departments testing, and doing some hiring right now. The Atlanta fire department is taking applications right now, i have a friend who is a LT. with 21 truck and he said they will be hiring 600 in the next 4 years. but they require EMT as a prerequisite. the basic program for EMT's where i am at is 6 months, and Fire Science is 2 years. In your opinion what would you recommend?
Finish your EMT and take Atlanta's test. They fight a lot of fire there, they have a lot of busy houses. Take your shot.
the basic program for EMT's where i am at is 6 months, and Fire Science is 2 years. In your opinion what would you recommend?

I echo Greg's sentiment here, but will expand a bit. I would look at doing both the EMT and the degree. Chances are the degree program would fill up and may only start in the fall. However, you can still work on classes while awaiting the core program curriculum. Meaning there are other classes to do besides fire related, such as math, physics, communications etc. If you are waiting for a class to start, knock out general ed classes. Another thing is also look at knocking out fire cert classes.

As for EMT, if the course is being offered in the same school as fire science, you should be able to count the course as an elective. The only thing would be if Atlanta wants you to have EMT prior to testing, or prior to hire. If the testing for Atlanta is the same time you are in school, you may be out of luck. However, it may be possible to show you are currently enrolled in EMT if that is the issue. The time frame between testing and hire can vary greatly. In this case, perhaps 4 years.

Basically, there are several options you can do while doing school. You can knock out several classes and can work towards the degree while still testing. If you were to test with Atlanta, get on the list etc, you may still be looking at a few years before getting hired. If hired while in school, you can transfer those credits elsewhere and work on a degree later.

So right now, I would be looking at getting in for both the degree program and EMT. Such slots may fill up fast so look into this as soon as possible. If the degree does have a wait time, like it is already full for this fall, look into taking cert classes and general study classes. When you do get in a degree program, you may be able to finish the program faster if you have the general studies knocked out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service