Ok... this is it... finally, a place where we can discuss one of the more important issues facing today's fire service, fire helmets. There is just so many things about helmets that need to be identified and discussed to enable folks to understand everything there is to know about their fire helmets such as:

1 • Do you prefer Cairns verses the Bullard/Phoenix styles?

2 • Would you consider using one of the MSA French style fire helmets?

3 • Do you have a favorite color for a fire helmet? 

4 • Do you prefer the generic as the come style of fire helmet or do you prefer to have them painted like the stars and stripes helmet shown above. 

5 • Does your department allow you to put stickers and names on the helmet? 

6 • Do you prefer leather verses plastic for helmet construction and why? 

7 • Do you like flip down helmet shields or the individual eye flip down protectors?

8 • Do you attach a flashlight onto the helmet and if so, do you use a section of cut rubber intertube stretched around the outside of the helmet to hold a disposable flashlight or do you use a flashlight mount for connecting a maglite or other commercial style flashlight?

9 • Do you attach passport tags under the rear bill of helmet and if you don't where do you carry them?

10 • Does your department use the sides of the helmet to denote which engine or truck company you are assigned too?

11 • Does your company officer where a different color helmet than a firefighter or engineer.

12 • Does your department follow along the general guidelines for SoCal where firefighters and fire engineers wear yellow fire helmets, fire captains wear red helmets, chief officers wear white helmets and ems folks wear blue?

As you can see, there is a myriad of unanswered questions when it comes to fire helmets. Hopefully this post can shed some light on the subject for all to enjoy and learn from.

CBz

Views: 9429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Having noticed that many of those involved with the FFN have a lot of questions about fire helmets over any other topic... well, maybe engine colors and ff/jr's responding to a call from a high school class. What has not even been touch upon however is fire helmets and dogs. Can you believe that this has not come up yet as a forum post?

Keep smiling and take life seriously, seriously!

CBz
Enough well said! what more to add?
I don't wear no stinking helmet.
Helmets are for sissies.

There, I said it.
Ahhh... I feel so much better now.
Thanks.

Just for the record Joemac, this guy didn't wear his helmet and was exposed to stuff. Is that what you want? I think not! Wearing a helmet is not even a consideration here. Even cats know that you are suppose to wear a helmet!

Sorry Jack our fire trucks are yellow with NFPA approved white reflective stripe down the side. Or is yellow not an approved color for a fire truck?
I use a Bullard as does everyone else in our dept. Our firefighters are yellow, station capt's are yellow, and chiefs are white. Everyone knows everyone else so no need for different color. I just bought mine though mine is a black traditional I got a great deal on so the Chief let me get it. It has a built in light with a little blue light on the back so I can be tracked by the person behind me. Yeah, I know I'm gonna stand out on a fire scene but I already did because I'm about the only person that likes the traditional so I was issued a yellow traditional that they had that no one wanted. But I love them. Oh yea I can't use bourkes with it I have to use the 4" faceshield. I would give the french design a try but I swear Cbz that metal would get awfully hot on your head.
but it's not metal... just a reflective chrome finish. you make a valid point though and it seems unlikely that someone would champion a helmet that gets that hot. what I did hear was that the helmet did an exceptional job actually reflecting the heat... more information is needed. hopefully we can get some european firefighter input here... anyone out there know?
1 • Do you prefer Cairns verses the Bullard/Phoenix styles? Cairns
2 • Would you consider using one of the MSA French style fire helmets? No, they look silly.
3 • Do you have a favorite color for a fire helmet? Black
4 • Do you prefer the generic as the come style of fire helmet or do you prefer to have them painted like the stars and stripes helmet shown above. Plain Generic Black with no reflectors.
5 • Does your department allow you to put stickers and names on the helmet? Yes
6 • Do you prefer leather verses plastic for helmet construction and why? Leather, If maintained it should last a career. I know hazmat blah blah blah. I'll put a hard hat on then
7 • Do you like flip down helmet shields or the individual eye flip down protectors? Bourkes, but I use safety glasses for Auto wrecks
8 • Do you attach a flashlight onto the helmet and if so, do you use a section of cut rubber intertube stretched around the outside of the helmet to hold a disposable flashlight or do you use a flashlight mount for connecting a maglite or other commercial style flashlight?I use 2 tire bands with a Garrity. Also holds 2 wedges.
9 • Do you attach passport tags under the rear bill of helmet and if you don't where do you carry them? Nope, They are on the Engine and I carry a set in my gear.
10 • Does your department use the sides of the helmet to denote which engine or truck company you are assigned too? No
11 • Does your company officer where a different color helmet than a firefighter or engineer. No. Generally speaking we don't have company officers (only our heavy rescue has a LT)
12 • Does your department follow along the general guidelines for SoCal where firefighters and fire engineers wear yellow fire helmets, fire captains wear red helmets, chief officers wear white helmets and ems folks wear blue? No
Friend of mine recently deployed to Australia to help out in severe flooding over there .......

The guys and girls over there wondered what they walked into when the locals started saying if you need a gurney there are dozens available just call and we will bring one over ............

a Gurney in New Zealand is a patient transport stretcher ........................

A Gurney in Australia is a water blaster ............ (pressure washer)

very funny once translations were made
I will comment on item #3 only. I prefer a black helmet to a white helmet. The unwritten specs for a white helmet shows that the white helmet weighs significantly more than the black one. Life was so much easier wearing a black helmet!
Our department issues the cheapest helmets they can find which is the the basic Bullard helmet White for chiefs, red for captains and yellow for fire fighters. We attach dog tags to the back d ring, we require the full face shield however I would prefer the goggles myself but that might just be for the looks I agree the full shield may offer the best full face protection The department provides name and number decals for each firefighter to be placed on their helmet
Most of our guys have the Stream light attached to their helmet , I don’t think any use the black rubber band , no one that I know of carries any door wedges on their helmet but I think it’s a good idea
I am more of a traditionalist and like the leather helmets I have a carins leather Sam Houston white with a red ( ladder company ) leather front patch. There is a lot to be said about tradition I didn’t realize that the red front patch was for ladder companies and the black front leather patch was for engine companies. Our department is allow firefighter to purchase their own helmets if they chose to as long as they meet the NFPA requirements
I like the looks of the Bourke shield unfortunately they are not NFPA approved and offer no real eye protection but have to say they look awesome ESS goggles are cool and NFPA approved so that’s what I would prefer but our department requires the full shield
Again I think helmets that have been individualized with stickers and the American flag for example are cool they tell something about the firefighter and who he is as an individual, as long as it done with some class. With the Bullard helmets there is a statement, I believe with the warrantee and instructions that painting of or placing of any non-approved stickers may void the protection or warrantee of the helmet
I am a collector of helmets and have a few from around the world old and new including the French Gallet. It’s cool but not something I would wear. My personal preference and maybe what I am use to but have to say I don’t think you can beat the leather New Yorker or Sam Houston so much tradition history and looks. Helmets tell a story the history the individual heroics the things they have seen. My favorite helmet in my collection is a Black leather cairns New Yorker 911 commemorative helmet
1) Do you prefer Cairns verses the Bullard/Phoenix styles?
• We recently went to the Cairns and it gets mixed reviews. I like the Bullard-style as it's easier to keep clean. It is also about an 1½" shorter.
2) Would you consider using one of the MSA French style fire helmets?
• Considered but I prefer the (American) traditional style.
3) Do you have a favorite color for a fire helmet?
• I do not have a favorite color per say.
4) Do you prefer the generic as the come style of fire helmet or do you prefer to have them painted like the stars and stripes helmet shown above.
• "Airbrushed" style is cool but once it's baked in a few fires it doesn't matter much.
5) Does your department allow you to put stickers and names on the helmet?
• No
6) Do you prefer leather verses plastic for helmet construction and why?
• Never worn leather so I cannot comment.
7) Do you like flip down helmet shields or the individual eye flip down protectors?
• I prefer the shield as it offers more protection.
8) Do you attach a flashlight onto the helmet and if so, do you use a section of cut rubber intertube stretched around the outside of the helmet to hold a disposable flashlight or do you use a flashlight mount for connecting a maglite or other commercial style flashlight?
• I have in the past tried the UL helmet mounted light but it became an entanglement point. Since then the 90° lights have gotten better, and cheaper.
9) Do you attach passport tags under the rear bill of helmet and if you don't where do you carry them?
• Yes.
10) Does your department use the sides of the helmet to denote which engine or truck company you are assigned too?
• This is done by the tag worn on the front of our helmet shield.
11) Does your company officer where a different color helmet than a firefighter or engineer.
• Yes, red.
12) Does your department follow along the general guidelines for SoCal where firefighters and fire engineers wear yellow fire helmets, fire captains wear red helmets, chief officers wear white helmets and ems folks wear blue?
• Yes but our rookies wear blue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service