i was at work and the pager went off and my boss told me if i leave he would fire me. can he legally do this. is there a law that help the vol firefighters.

Views: 16762

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check your state fire commission laws first, but I'm sure in most states you are only protect if you went on the call one hour before you were due into work. This would be the case for most state volunteer firefighters. However leaving work is not normally covered. Besure you put your family needs first, cause if you should get released from your job it maybe hard to get a new with todays economic problems. Not hating on you just make sure you don't lose your income over a automatic alarm or burnt toast,,,be safe
Check all your state laws...also look to see if your state has any fire organizations, association etc that can help. Without sounding like a "goon" or something...Hey the guy DOES have to run a business. What if half his employees were vollies and all wanted to leave on a fire? What if his company "went under" during a busy fire season because all his employees were out fighting fires?

It sounds like you needed to make an agreement with your employer before the pager went off. Like "SMITH" said...you need to cover YOUR FAMILY first, and thats your employment.
I am a paid on call, and have the same probs. I find in my few jobs that have allowed me to leave for a call, it would need to be on a 2nd padge. I as of now since laid off am driving truck, witch of course when on road am not in my fire dist let alone my own state. The good part is am a part time driver and am only out when needed. I myself feel that my family and job comes first, allthough, I do try to work in all the trainings and drills that I can, even if it means turnen down a load, but most of my off days are weekends and every other tue when have drills, so dosent happen often. I am normaly out about 2 ta 5 days at a time, and if home make it to ALL calls even if it is 2 AM in the mornen. The way I look at it talk to your boss make a deal that if it is say a house fire or an extrication, you can leave. All other calls will need to be say a 2nd padge, but if your job is one of witch you are the only one that can do the job, and canot be replaced then may be a prob. So if dosent let ya well think of wich is more importent, a fire call inwich you may or may not get paid, or your job that puts food on the table.
Yes he can fire you! Your full time job is your job, if everyone keeps running out on all the business how are they suppose to get things done? If I was your employer I would have told you the same thing. You want to be a fire fighter go be a firefighter. If you want to volunteer then do it when you can, duh!
in CT an employer can not fire you if you are late or absent if you were discharging the official duties of vol fire or vol ems. not sure about leaving to go to a fire. most employers in small towns with vol only depts im sure but there is no law
If I call off work the next morning (or the night before if I'm working third shift) it's because I'm damned tired and wouldn't be functional at work.

I agree that if you spend all day at the hall when you called in sick because of a fire the night before, you shouldn't be at the hall.

Me personally, I'm in my bed and if I'm away, it's only because my brain's still wound up from the fire. My body wants to SLEEP! =)
NM passed a law protecting firefighters and EMT volunteers from this. If your state does not have such a law then I would say yes they can
I don't think there is a law that will protect us I think it all falls on the employer as to what he want to do. As for this we did have a guy on our dept fired due to fire calls
Ask your boss if it was his house on fire or his fam in a wreck would there be a issue with you going ta save the day
John, unfortunately that doesn't work. Ask your boss why you're out of a job and explain to your family that they can't do grocery shopping this week because you left for a fire call and the business went broke because a project wasn't delivered on time (or similar)....

One pays the bills and keeps food on the table, the other doesn't.

As a new business owner, this is the catch 22 I'm caught with- I have a business to run, projects to deliver, clinets needs to be met. My TEAM can't do that because you're at a firecall. Tough decisions for me, particularly as a former volunteer....
There is a law against getting fired for being late to work for being on a fire call. You cannot leave work to run calls and expect them to continue your employment. If you work something out between your fire chief and your boss, then maybe, but I sure the department will survive if you don't run calls while you are at your paid job.
Glad yer not the boss...

My pager is with me almost all the time but it's not always on. I work relief at a group home for the developmentally disabled and because of staffing issues (the house has to main at least two staff at all times) my pager is off while I'm on the clock. It is also off in the fire hall (why have it on?) and in buildings with too much electronic interference.

All of this should be common sense though. If you're in a position where your duties can be covered without too much fuss and your boss approves, you could respond to calls. If you're in a position where you can't just up and leave, then why keep your "ears" on?

It's the same kind of common courtesy we all should be using with cell phones, silent or off during movies and performances, or in jobs where answering them would be disruptive, disrespectful, or inappropriate.

We're firefighters, we should be a little smarter and be able to think beyond ourselves.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service