It's with interest that I read many member profiles on this website and it fascinates me to see where people are from, I love looking at the pix and getting a bit of an idea what people look like, their departments, equipment, etc.

However one thing that really concerns me, particularly with the "younger ones" or the newbies to the services, is some of the motivations and reasons for joining the emergency servcies, that I read in many profiles.

Plenty of people have written "They want to save lives", "They like the adrenalin rush" and so on and so on.

My concerns lies with the fact that the harsh reality is that in many, many instances we don't save lives, we don't rescue people- we're often perfroming recoveries, or the medical treatment fails for a multitude of reasons. (I know quite a few first responders and call takers/despatchers that have gone through some horrible times with Critical Incident Stress, inlcuding myself)

As for the adrenalin junkies- by all means enjoy your self, get a kick out of belonging to fantastic "family", but keep the adrenalin at bay. Adrenalin rushes can lead to accdients and potentially dangerous decisions being made.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to scare people away, but be realistic about what drives you- this is a very, very, very harsh career or hobby choice- don't be blindsided by it.....

Be safe!

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think what the author is refering to is failed expectations. So many new firefighters believe the job is going to be one way only to find out it is completely different. They think that there is going to be fire every shift and babies will be heroically carried out once a week. Those of us that have been doing this a while know otherwise. Sometimes we get assigned to a slow station that may not see a good structure fire for months. Instead of saving the baby, we find the body of the lifeless and all of things have a detremental effect if we're not careful.

The challenge is keeping the proper perspective and when the "big one" hits, your ready. Appointments with Destiny will happen, but they don't happen everyday. However, since we have little control of when that appointment will occur, we have to keep our edge.

If you are an Adrenalin Junkie remember the following:

1. We exist for the people outside of the fire station, whenever or whatever they need, no matter how trivial it may seem to us personnally, it's important to them.

2. When the big one hits, we only get one shot at it. Train as if it's going to happen today, because it just might.

3. If you begin to feel discouraged, make yourself look at the good things that are going on.

4. Bloom where you're planted. You may not be at the busiest station or department but your presence where you are is important.

5. If you are burned out, take a vacation, get re-charged, maybe go to a good firefighter confrence, maybe go to Vegas, but whatever you do remind yourself that we exist for the people out there and they need you!
Yeah, you're spot on Mike. IT is definitely about failed expectations.

I was prompted to right this becuase so many profiles on this website mention "saving lives" as a prime motivator, and the reality is, it can be so much different to that.
Thank you very much for your posting, Mike. Interestingly, it melds neatly with a recent post that I wrote about a particularly awful call that my department (ie the one with which I am training) ran on. The excitement of being on an extrication team for an MVC can be quickly tempered when that extrication takes just a little to long or when the house fire dispatch does not indicate "person or persons involved" only for us to arrive that once we knock down the fire, we will be running a recovery operation.

Mike-

You asked why we do the job? For me it is a way to serve my community and to honor the memory of my Grandfather (1913-2005) who though he was never a firefighter, always served and maintained his part in his chosen community be shopping in locally owned businesses, taking an active interest in community events and spending 64 years as a proud member of the community, long before it even had a name. I have no notion that the job will always be fun, or even pleasant, but I do it because it is what I can do, hopefully improving my small corner of the community in which I live.
I do it for the insanely low pay. Seriously, my wife was "downsized" from her medical research job earlier in the year. While she was on unemployment for 2 weeks she was still doubling my hourly salary. Still, best job in the world.
lutan:
I agree.
Adrenaline shoud be what "drives" you; gives you your energy.
It should not be what "motivates" you.
People should not get into it because of the bad, ugly sick stuff that you sometimes will see.
If there is not a genuine interest in helping out in a time of need, if there isn't something in the back of your mind that says "this is all screwed up and I want to put everything together for what will hopefully be a positive outcome, if you cannot feel compassion, concern and commitment to those you are helping and if you are in it for the self-gratification/hero worship, then please; DON'T APPLY!
Art
Spot on!
Welcome back JoAnn! That seems like a more positive outlook than what was in your blog when I first met you....
Like most, what motivates me the most to serve is the ability to make a bad day better for someone else. Another very important reason for me personally, is the chance to build on the traditions, honor the history and pass on the customs of the fire service to future firefighters…just another way to always remember and never forget.

Stay Alert…Stay Alive
With me there may be a genetic component. My great grandfather and uncle were volunteer FFs. This along with some urging by some friends led me to join my first FD.

As with many others, my initial reasons were to be a part of the action and to enjoy the rush when the call comes in. We were the heroes and it was always neat to drive down the street on the apparatus and wave to the kids. Plus we had this neat turnout gear stuff and masks that would let us march into walls of flame and rescue people.

As time went by and I got to saw things I really didn't want to see, my training level increased to the point where I felt it would be a waste to not share the education and experience I had acquired.

Today, it's the people, the tradition of our FD, the teamwork, the experience, the sense of achievement, the community service, ... along with "someone has to do it" and many more things I can't get into words.

And the genetics kick in when the other factors aren't motivators - the tones drop and I'm out the door. Just like the old fire horses, who had to be moved to the quiet country when they were retired.
I joined because I like the way the reflective striping slims my thighs..
ahahhahhahahha
Great post, and real good info on the replies. I was lucky, I come to this by way of family, and never doubted my choice. My grandfather, father, and 4 older brothers have all been or still are firefighters. I am one of the "older guys" now, and I still like going in to "the job". Like I said, I'm one of the lucky ones.
I like the adrenaline rush that I get, I also know that we may or may not save someone. I am still fairly new to the service and what is funny is that sometimes I am the one trying to calm the other crew members down on the engine when it is a fire, or a call that can be really bad. Guess my age has something to do with that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service