Im a line officer with a small rural volunteer dept. Recently it was brought to my attention that some of my guys are getting bored with training. Does anyone have any new training ideas that may catch the attention of my dept?

Views: 22145

Replies to This Discussion

Could I get a copy as well?

Thanks,
Denis
denis.hache@tc.gc.ca
we handle lot of accidents in our area. I GOT SOME PLACARDS FOR SOME LOCAL DEALERS, GAS PROPANE ETC.I STAGE A ACCIDENT PUT A PLACARD ON OUR TANKER A VEHICLE CLOSE UNDERNEATH AS IF THERE WAS A ACCIDENT WITH VICTIME TRAPED IN VEHICLE I LET WATER DRIP OUT OF DISCHARGE AS IF THERE WAS A LEAK. I ALSO HAVE A PROPANE YARD FOGGER I USE WITH MINERAL OIL PRODUCES LOT OF SMOKE AS IF THE VEHICALE WAS ON FIRE. STREACH A ROPE AS IF THERE IS A POWER LINE DOWN. NO BODY KNOWS THIS EXCEPT TRAINING COMMITTEE. THEN HAS FIREFIGHTERS TO RESPONDE TO HANDLE SITUATION. YOU CAN SET UP LOT OF SENARIOS WITH THIS TYPE TRAINING.
I would love to use your jeopardy game. Please send it to memac@ns.sympatico.ca

Thanks
Paula
Hello,

I would definately be interested in obtaining the the Jeopardy Game, This would definately help with our drill night. Thank you so much.

E-mail is tricountyfiretraining@hotmail.com , Thank you so much Chuck Haines
Can you e-mail me that Jeopardy game to leroyclemons007@hotmail.com
Could I get a copy of your jeopardy game. ctfd@bnin.net
I would like to have a copy of your jeopardy game. Thanks.

Rob
firemanmedic22@aol.com
Could you send me a copy of your power point? I would appreciate it.

Rob
firemanmedic22@aol.com
could i plz get a copy of your jeopardy game on my email plz. my email is baby_boy022494@hotmail.com
J Brooks I would like to see the game. It would be a great winter thing to do up here in wisconsin.
Ok, sent my email address to the chief to get the PPT ofline. To answer your question...

We have a rather large open room that we set up tables in for most trainings (our T.O. likes classroom stuff). For company level training I have been known to use a bunch of tables turned on their side (legs folded out like they would if they were set up) and laid out to make a search maze. I switch up what doors are in use and which are just walls for the evolution. I have done everything from pre-placed a charged hoseline and they have to find the crew at the end of it with loops and all sorts of mess to right and left handed search (with hose lines or rope) to sending them in to locate a down firefighter with PASS activated (sometimes do the rescue, and sometimes just locate them) to dropping them in the middle of the room with no obsticals and having them find their way out following the hose (difference between male/female hose couplings with gloves on). I usually do this in the evenings when it is dark outside and will have them put their hoods on backwards. We are currently playing around with one of the el-cheapo smoke machines you probably saw at the local big box store around Halloween. It seems to work well and may allow us to change it up a bit. I have also used some 2x4 framed props to simulate walls for self rescue (a couple or ropes run through like romex would be). A neighboring department has a 2'x2'x8' box of plywood and 2x4 frame with holes just randomly drilled and they run wire or rope through the holes as an entanglement maze. It actually works well. Of course all siuations are done with a few experienced guys around so if the person panics we can talk them down and either continue the drill or get them out.

Also on my top ten list is to make sure they understand to communicate with each other. If they are not communicating or staying in contact some way (taping the guy in front's foot with the tool every so often or talking or something) I will simply have the guy at the back of the group durring the search lay down and not talk and see how long it takes before their partner notices. Usually only takes once and the persone does not do that one again.

When the weather gets a little better I have been known to take the guys out behind the fire house and lay out an obsticle course with cones that they have to deploy a 1 3/4" hose through (simulating tight areas like small street with parked cars, and narrow clearance in driveway and then on to a porch and up a stairway (of course oll on ground level just set up the cones to give them the turns and narrowed clearance to get used to).

Also firefighter rescue can be done indoors to some extent. Practice on drags, use of the drag harness in the newer gear (and repacking the blasted thing), use us commercial products or webbing/rope. 1 person and 2 person victim removal. Practicing the proper procedures for calling a mayday, maybe even go to a simplex radio channel and do it in gear with a mask and concentrate on staying calm, giving the needed information, and being able to understand it. You can build a few simulators fairly cheap to do some of the firefighter rescue techniques right in your bay.

Also Firehouse, Fire Engenieering, and FirefighterCloseCalls.com all have company level drills you can do.

For the newbiew, or even a review for the older guys go out and buy a few matchbox cars and do some table top drills. I do this with all the new guys to stress proper aparattus placement and how the first arriving rig parking in a jacked up spot will just screw it up for everyone down the line. Also good for the newbies to kind of go through some of the kind of calls you have.

Just a few ideas.
Use and abuse the World Wide Web....
I see that Norman E. Flanders listed a few web sites that I use.
http://www.mfri.org/, http://www.fireengineering.com/, http://firehouse.com/, http://firefighterclosecalls.com/
All offer great outlines to not only help you come up with ideas, but make sure you cover all the basics of that subject. Make the drills interactive, and HANDS ON There are times to give a PowerPoint, and then there are times to get dirty.
Try to teach them something new. I always preach stick to the basics, when it comes to training until they have that down. But sometimes you need to throw something new to keep them interested.
Bring in a subject matter expert from a neighboring Department, so your guy's can see a new face.
IF anyone takes a class outside of your Dept, Have them come back and teach your guys their new skill set.
It's tough to teach the new guys the basics and keep the old salts interested, so try to utilize them to help teach the basics. (although sometimes a kid out of Basic has a better clue then the old timers).
Good luck

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service