I was just wondering what peoples thoughts/department SOG's were on wearing bunker gear, ambulance crew/fire crew, on the scene of vehicle accidents. In my department's SOG's it states "Bunker gear is required for personal injury accidents", yet there are some who refuse to wear it when they respond on the squad(ambulance) because they have reflective vests or jackets. Me personally I wear my bunker gear and a refective vest no matter what truck I respond in.

Views: 2416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have seen these suits before at shows and in demos. I like the concept however don't see how a department can justify buying them for a few reason. A. Say your clearing the MVC and you catch a job for a structure Fire, How many members bring their structural gear with them ?
B. You pull up on your MVC the vehicle is on fire and it happens to be near a structure,or Has some Structural involvement Now what?

More often than not we respond to an incident and The outcome is totally different than what the caller reports, I cannot honestly justify spending extra money on a suit strictly for extrication when that money can be better used either purchasing other tools and gear that's needed, Or repairing damaged turnouts.

Full PPE!  our is usually wildland gear in Tecassafe or Nomex but it is all yellow and has the ANSI refelcitve striping per NFPA.   But we don't do a lot of MVAs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

FireRescue Magazine

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2017   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service